Music at De Bohun Primary School
Music is firmly established at De Bohun and flourishes throughout our school:
- Class music lessons are weekly for children in years Nursery through to Year 6 – pupils develop their musicianship through singing and playing instruments;
- Singing takes place throughout the school, in class lessons and singing assemblies, plus there is an opportunity for junior pupils to join our choir;
- All pupils are provided with first free access to learning a musical instrument in Year 3;
- Ensembles are run for children learning recorder, flute and clarinet – a valuable experience of playing with others;
- We work closely with Enfield Music Service and have their tutors teaching piano, keyboard, violin, viola, bassoon, flute and clarinet at our school;
- Regular musical performances take place to showcase our wonderful musicians and singers and these are always well attended by families;
- Our junior instrumentalists visit younger year groups to perform and share their music making.
The work in our class lessons provides the groundwork for children to be able to develop as musicians, including progressing to playing a musical instrument, and also helps build up a love of music and music making which can last a lifetime.
Additional musical opportunities for pupils include:
- Taking part in Enfield Music Service singing festivals;
- Specific initiatives to promote increased take up of certain orchestral instruments;
- Concerts by visiting musicians;
- Access to samba and steel pan workshops;
- Representing our school in the community through our choir’s participation in charity fundraising concerts and collaborations in concerts with two local secondary schools.
Aiming to extend the school’s music provision further, we applied recently for grant funding to Universal Music UK Sound Foundation. We were fortunate enough to be awarded sufficient funds to purchase a further two keyboards, which will make group provision possible, as well as some ukuleles which will be brought into use during the forthcoming academic year.
Please contact our music teacher, Miss Conway, who will be pleased to discuss any aspect of the De Bohun music provision.